work redesign website
PEOPLE ON TEAM
YEAR IN USE
State of Idaho • Legislative Services Office • Audits Division manages a website for the Local Government Registry for state agencies.
While working on the latest round of functional updates to the website, it was a good time to redesign the "look and feel" to be modern and professional.
The redesign was accepted through all levels of approval required and installed into production.
ux design, ui design, front-end development, back-end development
PAPER AND PENCIL
MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO
SQL SERVER DATABASE
process and methods
understand • define
- We had a small team of 3 people working on the redesign - the administrative Audit employee, the IT Deputy Divison Manager, and myself.
- The big picture ideas were as follows:
explore • prototype
- In a testing environment, I created a high-fidelity prototype based on the templates and the color scheme required.
- Based on input from the IT Deputy Division Manager, the administrative Audit employee, and a few key people, multiple iterations of changes were made to the design.
materialize • implement
- The code used for the prototype, in the testing environment, was installed into production.
- It helps to think about the end goal when choosing the methods for a project. This was an existing system, that was working for the users, and we just wanted to update the look and feel, so we did not need to spend time on user research or personas, etc.
- It helps to remember that "you are not your user". We went through a few iterations of considerably small changes, that I did not think helped with the usability, but other people found those changes very helpful. It was a good reminder to be open to other ideas, no matter how small.